Friday, September 19, 2014

Start of it All

I started my official weight loss journey in May of this year. I say it's my "official"  start because I've actually done more physical activity these last few months than I've done my whole life, besides when I was a kid of course. I've been a big girl all my life, and my family definitely has a history of obesity.

I am 25 years old and classified as morbidly obese. I weigh 433 lbs. I would like to say this is my highest weight, but it isn't. As I said, I started my journey in May and so I've actually lost some pounds and inches. YAY ME!

I started out by cutting out fast food, drinking 1 gallon of water a day, and going to the gym for 1.5 hours, 3 days a week. And it's worked, not as fast as I would like of course, but it took me 25 years to get to this weight, it's not going to disappear overnight. If someone comes across that magic healthy pill, send it my way.

I knew from the get go that I couldn't do this on my own.Since June of this year, I have seen 3 doctors, 3 nutritionists and have emailed about 6 online fitness trainers. Here are my results.

The 3 doctors. Yeah PROFESSIONAL LICENSED DOCTORS. They could care less. Each one wanted me to prescribe with an appetite suppressant, do blood work, wait 3 months, then come back and see them.

The 3 nutritionists. They tried to get me to buy shakes and supplements. I wanted macro coaching and meal plan, not sugary drinks and pills. A couple of them wanted me to do weight loss shots, and while I've seen that work for people, I couldn't afford $300/week in my budget.

The 6 online fitness people. Well 5 people ignored me, and one responded.

Out of literally a dozen people I spoke with, only one has decided to help me. I didn't think that when I finally reached out for help that NO ONE would respond. We live in a world where we body/fat shame, where obesity is bad, etc but yet when I want to seriously make an effort to change myself, no one helps.

I never ask for handouts. I wasn't expecting anything to be free. But those 12 people went in to their business to help people, and now they see people as dollar signs instead of actual human beings. I honestly thought, if they helped and if everything went according to plan I started to lose weight, wouldn't they want a client like me in their portfolio?

Shame on them. Shame on them for not doing their job properly. Shame on them for thinking money is more important than the health of a human being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment